Best Bed Bug Spray
A Guide to the Best Bed Bug Spray
- 5 Minute Kill Time – Kills bed bugs at all life stages in 5 minutes after direct contact
- Patent Pending Technology – Uses metofluthrin, clothianidin and piperonyl butoxide
- Residual Kill – The EPA claim for the residual of the product is 1 month
- EPA Registered – Registered with the Environmental Protection Agency (No. 1021-2793-3) for use in homes
Links & Images from Amazon Product Advertising API. Cerceris May Get A Commission. Last updated on 2019-11-22
Bed bugs can be a nightmare to deal with. Often, the infestation might be so bad that you may need to get rid of the affected items altogether. With a good bug spray, you should be able to treat the area and also prevent bed bugs from coming back. Be warned, this can be a long-drawn-out process and you may require several stages and rounds of spraying for bugs before you can be fully rid of them.
But it is not always easy to find the right bed bug spray. Especially because this particular problem and pest control, in general, can be such a time consuming and frustrating problem to deal with, if the spray you are relying on does not do its job well, it can bring down your morale. What can you do to make this extermination stop? Sell your bed? Sell your furniture? Move to a new house?
These are not dramatic suggestions. If the problem is not dealt with effectively and as soon as possible, there is a good chance you may need to take these extreme steps. At the least, you may need to inform the neighborhood as your bed bug problem, if not taken care of, can become a full-blown infestation for your neighbors and the whole building you live in. So in the larger scheme of things, treating your bed bug infestation is a civic duty!
The following is a brief description of how to identify bed bugs, followed by a buying guide and a review of some of the best bed bugs in the market. Hopefully, the following article will help to ease your woes with creepy crawlies that share your bed!
What Are Bed Bugs and How Do You Know Your Home Has Them?
If you thought bed bugs are just a kind of pest that attach themselves to your bed, that would be an incorrect assumption. Bed bugs can cause an infestation anywhere, be it your mattress, the box springs, your upholstery or even your clothes. In fact, you can even bring bed bugs back in your luggage from a trip to a humid destination!
Bed bugs come from eggs and have a whole life cycle before they become full-grown adults. The eggs can be so minute that you will not be able to see them in plain sight. Different strains of bugs look different and can vary in terms of size. There are chances you won’t even be able to see the young bugs right after they have hatched and can look like a speck of dust. Even at full size, they might look only as big as an apple seed. Bed bugs are also typically nocturnal and will best be seen at night. This also means they will crawl out at night and bite the inhabitants of the bed then. Bed bugs can be hard to detect and by the time you realize you have bed bugs, it may already be a full-blown infestation.
Typically, people realize they have bed bugs when they start to get bitten and feel itchiness. You may also notice black fecal matter on the corner of mattresses or on the bed sheet. There may also be instances where the bugs shed their skins when they mature.
One thing to remember when you discover you have bed bugs is that you need to take action immediately. Your first instinct might be to flee, but you need to keep your head on your shoulders and act smartly. If you decide to go sleep in a spare room to avoid dealing with the bed bugs, or if you think fleeing to a friend’s apartment for the night is a good idea, let it be known, that it is not! Bed bugs are like lice. They find a carrier and they latch on to it to become more mobile. So if you move from one place to another without attempting to fix the problem, you will be aiding the bed bugs to spread. So do not panic! Take precautions against being bitten while you set an extermination strategy in place. You can either call professional exterminators, or you can get a good quality bug spray and treat the area on your own. Here’s a handy guide to recognizing signs of an infestation and treating it thoroughly.
How to Buy Bed Bug Sprays
There are a few factors that need to go into selecting a bed bug spray. You want something that is effective and will take care of your problem as soon as possible. The longer you delay exterminating the bugs, the more the chances that you suffer from some reaction or skin irritation from living among bugs and pests. The following are some of the factors you should consider before buying a bed bug spray:
What Is Your Budget?
The budget decides the kind of bed bug spray you should get. There are sprays of practically every price range available in the market, so you should certainly find something that suits your price range. But how much you want to spend is up to you. If there is a massive infestation you are dealing with, a measly can of spray might not do it. You may have to get a few cans or perhaps a gallon. Often, infestations tend to come back so you might need to treat the area a few times. Keeping this in mind, arrive at a realistic budget that will not strain your pockets but will also allow you to carry out a sustained pest control treatment.
Having said that, if you are spending on bug spray what you could on getting professionals to come and treat the area for you, then that is a tad too much. At any given point, treating for bugs yourself using sprays and pesticides should be remarkably cheaper than having professionals come and do it for you. So pick a budget that suits you but pick it wisely.
How Bad Is the Infestation?
How bad the infestation is might decide the kind of spray you should get. Sure, no matter how bad the infestation is you want a spray that is strong and effective. But if the same job can be done with a milder spray that does not release as many aerosols in the air or leaving a strong odor behind, that would be ideal. How bad the infestation is will also decide how much of a spray you need to buy. If there is a brand that sells a greater quantity of the spray in a larger container, you may want to opt for that. For example, if you are dealing with a large infestation, you may want to go with the brand that is offering you a one-gallon container instead of 5-ounce one.
The extent of the infestation will also decide if you want a spray that is ideal for spot treatment or one that can be used in a larger area. Some sprays do a better job when used for cleaning specific, contained treatments – like a mattress or a suitcase. Others might be deeper reaching and may be meant for larger areas and bigger infestations.
In other words, have a sense of the infestation you are dealing with and if possible, try to identify the source so it can be nipped in the bud.
What Kind of Bugs Are You Dealing With?
Often, you may be faced with bugs that are so predominant that they have become resistant to most traditional pesticides. You need a spray that is able to go after not only bugs that are susceptible to the treatment, but also the bugs that have become resistant. This can be particularly hard as the resistant bugs are the ones that might give you the most trouble, as they are the most resilient.
You need to be careful about the bed bug spray you are picking out as any normal spray may not work on the bugs that have become resilient. There is no point in throwing money at something that is not even the antidote to the problem at hand. So pick a spray that can attack and kill both susceptible and resistant bugs so your life is made easier and you do not have to buy a different spray after failing to kill the bugs in your first attempt.
It may also be helpful to get a spray that is effective on more than just bed bugs. With a single spray, if you can get hold of bed bugs, carpet beetles, clothes moths, mosquitoes and the likes, that would be ideal.
Level of Toxicity
Spraying for bugs can often also lead to other harmful reactions and side effects. If you are using an aerosol spray, the aerosols or particles from the liquid can irritate your nasal cavity, cause respiratory trouble or make your eyes burn. No matter how bad the infestation you are dealing with, try as far as possible to invest in a natural spray that is free of toxins. This is especially important for households where there are children and pets. You do not want a pesticide that is going to cause allergy flare-ups to go anywhere near your kids or pets.
Remember, bug sprays are basically pesticides. They are a kind of poison that are meant to kill a certain species. Surely, if it has this kind of impact on an organism, no matter how small, it could also have adverse effects on your health. Especially if it used over a sustained period of time. So it is important for you to select a bed bug spray that is all natural and does not harm anything it comes in contact with (except for the bugs, of course!).
Make sure to check the ingredients to see what you will be exposing yourself to if you use the bed bug spray over a period of time. Most natural sprays will either have a soothing fragrance or will be completely odorless. The more natural it is, the lesser the chances of it having a strong, chemical odor. Surely you know, nobody wants to sit with a mask over their mouth in their own home! Especially if you have children or pets at home, a chemical spray would mean you need to remove them from the room. How long is this sustainable? A good spray is one that inconveniences nobody else, apart from the pests that are living in your home uninvited.
The Best Bed Bug Sprays Reviewed
The following are some of the best bed bug sprays in the market. Each product is accompanied by a brief description, followed by its features, pros and cons.
Bed Bug Killer by EcoRaider
The bed Bug Killer by EcoRaider is an effective bed bug killer that does its job and does it well. This is a natural product that is able to do its job a 100% and is the ideal spray to use for a sensitive environment. It is a non-toxic, safe and eco-friendly spray and can be sprayed even if you have pets in the house. The spray has been tested by research entomologists and can be used in public housing buildings and has been known to be effective in sensitive environments. The following are some of the features that are worth mentioning:
- The EcoRaider Bed Bug Killer can exterminate bed bugs in all stages of their lifespan, including adults.
- The spray can kill bed bugs that are difficult to get rid of even with traditional pesticides.
- The spray can provide two weeks of protection against bed bugs, even after it has dried.
- This is a certified USDA BioBased insecticide and is child and pet friendly.
- THE MOST EFFECTIVE BED BUG KILLER — Journal of economic entomology published university study confirmed that EcoRaider is the only natural product that kills bed bugs with 100 percent efficacy
- PROVEN THROUGH USDA IR4 PHP PROGRAM — field tested by research entomologists for eradicating bed bug infestations in public housing buildings and recommend for sensitive environment
- KILL ALL STAGES INCLUSIVE & EVEN RESISTANT BED BUGS — Kills bed bug adults and nymphs fast on contact with 100% efficacy, kills bed bugs that are resistant to traditional pesticides. Highest performance in eliminating bed bug eggs
- EXTENDED DRY RESIDUAL PROTECTION — University study shows EcoRaider residual provides extended protection for two weeks on bed bugs even after dried
Links & Images from Amazon Product Advertising API. Cerceris May Get A Commission. Last updated on 2019-11-22
- The spray can be used directly on the mattress and on the box spring.
- It is dermatologically safe, non-toxic and is eco friendly.
- It can kill bugs at all stages and can even get the bed bugs that are resistant to other traditional pesticides.
- It has been deemed safe to use in public housing buildings.
- Some consumers complained that the spray has an overwhelming smell.
- Some customers reported that the spray did not work in the long run.
Bed Bug Patrol Bed Bug Killer
The Bed Bug Patrol bed bug killer is an effective and strong spray that kills bed bugs 100% naturally. The bugs are exterminated within seconds of contact with the spray. This is a natural, chemical-free bug spray that is safe to use even around pets and children. It has been tested in an independent laboratory for quality and has come back with reliable results. This is a 24-ounce, two-pack spray though you can also opt to buy a one-gallon version of the spray. The following are some of the features that you can look forward to using:
- This is a 24-ounce, two-pack spray set and it also comes with a complimentary 22-page e-book.
- It is a non-toxic, eco-friendly and chemical-free formula that is suitable to be sprayed in homes with children and pets.
- Lab tests have found that the spray shows a mortality rate of 83% within the first half an hour and can exterminate 98% of the bugs within four hours.
- The spray is made with 100% natural essential oils.
- BED BUG PATROL is a powerful, all-natural bed bug killer insecticide spray that’s great for “do-it-yourself” or commercial use. Our proprietary formula eradicates bedbugs in every cycle of life from eggs to pesticide-resistant adults and can prevent infestations for up to 90 days.
- NON-TOXIC, CHILD AND PET SAFE - Made using natural, organic, and non-toxic ingredients. No more worries of toxic fumes or dangerous chemicals coming in contact with you and your family.
- STAIN FREE - Our one-of-a-kind formula can be used on any water-safe surface including: upholstery, mattresses, bed linens, clothing, floors, walls, etc. Simply spray a light mist and watch as we leave nothing but a light peppermint smell and destroyed bed bugs behind.
- FREE STEP-BY-STEP E-BOOK: Included in every order is our downloadable eBook which gives an in-depth look on bed bugs and how to effectively win your bed bug battle!
Links & Images from Amazon Product Advertising API. Cerceris May Get A Commission. Last updated on 2019-11-22
- Made with natural ingredients, the spray has no chemical odor.
- It shows its effects within half an hour and will be effective for at least two weeks after you have sprayed it.
- It can be applied directly on mattresses, box springs, furniture, walls, etc.
- You can pick between two different fragrances — peppermint and clove.
- Some customers complained that their pets reacted poorly to the spray.
- Some customers still found the bugs flying around even after it had been sprayed.
Harris Bed Bug Killer
The Harris Bed Bug Killer exterminates bed bugs once the spray dries completely. This is an odorless formula that does not stain or damage any fabric that it has been sprayed on. The one-gallon container is great value for money and you can use it on an on-going basis and for a long time. The spray has been registered with the Environmental Protection Agency and has been cleared for indoor residential use. It also comes with a trigger sprayer which makes it easier to go after bed bugs that are hiding in places that are hard to reach. The following are some of the features the product has to offer:
- The spray begins showing its effect once it has dried up completely.
- This a single gallon of the spray that can be used on an ongoing basis for several months.
- The spray has an odorless and stainless formula, so it is safe to use directly on your mattress.
- It comes with an extended trigger sprayer that can be used to treat areas where bed bugs are attempting to hide.
- The spray is EPA registered and has been cleared for indoor residential use.
- Kills Bed Bugs When Spray Dries - The spray will kill once completely dried
- Great Value - 1 Gallon allows for repeated applications on an on-going basis to effectively eliminate bed bugs
- Odorless Formula - Odorless and non-staining formula will not cause damage to fabrics when used according to label directions
- EPA Registered - Registered with the Environmental Protection Agency (No. 3-11) for indoor residential use
- This is a non-staining, water-based spray.
- The spray nozzle can be turned off for better safety, so the liquid does not leak out.
- It can be sprayed directly on mattresses, box springs, bed rails, etc.
- This is a large container that is sure to last you for a long time and give you several great months of use.
- The nozzle is not as effective, it would be more helpful to pour the liquid into a separate spray bottle.
- It generally works only if you spray directly on the bug, but this is not always possible.
Ortho Home Defense Max Insect Killer Spray for Indoor and Home Perimeter
The Ortho Home Defense Max Insect Killer Spray is ideal for the indoors and the home perimeter. This is a fast-acting formula that can give you almost up to 12 months of control. It creates a bug barrier that makes it difficult for bugs to re-enter and for the existing bugs to escape alive. This is also a non-staining, odor-free formula that can be applied to directly on your mattresses, bed springs, upholstery, etc. With this purchase, you will be getting two packs of 24 ounces each. The following are some of the features you should be excited about trying:
- This is a fast-acting formula that dries up quickly and shows its effects almost immediately.
- You get up to 12-month control once the spray creates a bug barrier.
- This is a non-staining and odorless formula.
- There are two 24-ounce bottles in this set.
- Fast-acting formula
- Up to 12 month control
- Non-staining. Odor free
- Creates a bug barrier
- The spray works well against not only bed bugs, but also roaches, ants and other pests, and the effects of the spray last for a long time.
- The spray is pet friendly and child friendly.
- The bug barrier prevents bugs from coming back into the house again.
- The odorless formula does not irritate your olfactory senses when sprayed.
- The spray has a very short expiration date, some customers complained.
- Several customers complained that the spray did not work on spiders.
Ortho Home Defense Dual-Action Bed Bug Killer Aerosol Spray
Another product from the Ortho Home Defence range, this is a dual-action bed bug killer that doubles up as an aerosol spray. It is a fast-acting formula that dries quickly and starts showing its effects soon after. It is also a long-lasting bug control formula that does not require you to keep applying the spray once an area has already been treated. It is also able to kill bed bugs that are pyrethroid resistant, which several traditional pesticides fail to do. You can use this easily on beds, on furniture and on luggage. The following are some of the features that are useful:
- A fast-acting formula that dries quickly and lasts for a long time.
- It can kill bed bugs as well as their eggs, giving you a holistic treatment.
- This aerosol spray is also able to kill bed bugs that are pyrethroid resistant.
- It can be used easily on beds, mattresses, furniture, luggage, etc. without any fear of leaving a stain behind.
- The spray is available in two sizes — 3 oz. and 18 oz.
- Fast-acting formula
- Long-lasting bed bug control
- Kills pyrethroid-resistant bed bugs
- Kills bed bug eggs
- This aerosol spray is ideal for spot treatment and does the job within minutes of coming in contact with the bugs.
- Comes in a travel size can so you can carry it along with you for trips and in case your luggage catches bugs.
- You can enjoy residual control for up to two weeks.
- The aerosol spray is more efficient than other liquid-based sprays.
- The nozzle can malfunction at times and the spray’s output is not always consistent.
- The spray has an overwhelming odor and may affect your pets adversely if they come in direct contact.
Bedlam Plus Bed Bug Aerosol
The Bedlam Plus Bed Bug Aerosol Spray shows its effects in many ways and on many different kinds of pests. It kills off bed bugs as well as their eggs and offers a two-week residual on wooden and ceramic surfaces. The odor of the spray is not overwhelming and it is also careful not to leave stains behind on your beautiful upholstery and home decor, as it is water based. It is meant for use in non-food areas of homes, hotels and other public or residential spaces. The following are some of the features worth speaking about:
- It can kill off bed bugs as well as their eggs.
- There is a two-week residual effect on wood, ceramic surfaces and carpets.
- It reduces the frequency of further egg hatches and is effective on both susceptible and resistant strains of bugs.
- Can be sprayed on the surfaces of mattresses, wooden furniture and on carpets.
- It is a water-based product that does not stain fabrics and surfaces that are water safe.
- It is meant to be used only in non-food areas of a home or apartment, of hotels, nursing homes, etc.
- Active Ingredient: 3-phenoxybenzyl-(1RS, 3RS, 1RS, 3SR)-2, 2-dimethyl-3-(2-methylprop-1-enyl) cyclopropanecarboxylate.........0.40% N-Octyl bicycloheptene dicarboximide.....1% Imidacloprid.....0.05% -
- Target pests: Bed bugs and bed bug eggs, ticks and fleas, dust mites, clothes moths and carpet beetles
- For use in: Indoors where bed bugs and other labeled insects hide.
- You Must Always Use According to its Product Label
- It can be used in a wide variety of places, including homes, restaurants, schools, hospitals, etc.
- It works on pests like bed bugs, carpet beetles, moths, dust mites, fleas, etc.
- Since it is a water-based spray, it will not leave stains behind on water-safe fabrics.
- It is extremely effective and is very budget friendly.
- The nozzle has been shown to be defective in several cases.
- Some customers complained that they were still stuck with an infestation, even after repeated use of the spray.
Hot Shot No-Mess! Fogger with Odor Neutralizer, 3/1.2 Ounces
The Hot Shot No-Mess! Fogger is just as exciting to use as its name. If you have been struggling with a bed bug infestation, this spray is sure to give you the satisfaction of seeing your home being cleaned up of all pests and bugs. The odor neutralizer is able to kill right on contact and continues to kill bugs for up to six weeks. The mist it creates is penetrating and is able to reach right into the cracks that allow it to kill the bugs and pests that are hiding in crevices. Rest assured that even the bugs you cannot see are being neutralized by this formidable fogger. The following are some of the features you should look out for:
- The Hot Shot No-Mess! Fogger kills right on contact and can keep killing the bugs for six weeks after the initial spray.
- The penetrating mist is able to go after the bugs that are hiding in dark crevices, that are usually out of your reach.
- It has a deeper-reaching, dry fog technology that is able to spread its effectiveness.
- This is a non-staining and odorless formula that will not leave any nasty signs of its application behind.
- KILLS ON CONTACT: Hot Shot No-Mess! Fogger With Odor Neutralizer kills on contact – and keeps killing for up to 6 weeks
- KILLS HIDDEN BUGS: Creates a fine, penetrating mist that reaches deep cracks and crevices to kill bugs you see and those you don't
- NO NEED TO TURN OFF PILOT LIGHTS: Deeper-reaching, dry fog technology
- WHERE TO USE: Use in enclosed spaces such as apartments, attics, basements, barns, boat cabins, cabins, campers, crawl spaces, garages, homes, households, sheds, storage areas and trailers
- The fogger is able to actively kill bugs for up to six weeks after it has been sprayed. Plus, it also kills on contact like a true ‘Hot Shot’.
- The odor neutralizer ensures that the fumigation process is not uncomfortable for those who are in the room.
- It does not leave any nasty stains behind on your beautiful upholstery.
- The deeper-reaching, dry fog technology is able to go after the bugs that are hiding away from plain sight.
- There is no need to turn off the pilot lights.
- Some customers said they ended up needing to use more boxes than the manufacturer’s claimed would be required.
- If you have pets, they might require a bath after you have used this fogger.
The names listed above are some of the best in the market. It is a healthy mix of natural bed bug sprays and some of the stronger ones with chemical ingredients. Not all the sprays that have been listed may be suitable to use around children or pets, so you need to be careful about the spray that you use. As the buying guide explains, it would also be helpful to know the extent of the infestation you are dealing with and the kind of bugs, if possible. Some bugs are so resilient, they have become immune to traditional pesticides; so you may require a different formula to get those bugs out.
It is also important to spray for bugs every few weeks once you have taken care of an infestation as you can never be too careful. Be sure to wash your sheets and change them often and also to dust your mattress and to put it out in the sun every now and then, if possible. Bed bugs can give you severe allergies and are a dermatological nightmare if the bites are allowed to fester for long. They can also lead to all kinds of infections if not dealt with rapidly. So act fast and responsibly. If you think the infestation is too large for you to get under control, do not hesitate to call for professional help. The sooner you deal with the problem, the better! But for the infestations you can deal with, a good bed bug spray will keep your home clean and devoid of unwanted pests.